a). “FUNCTION DATE” means the date of the function, shown on the Booking Form.
b). “HIRE CHARGE” means the amount stipulated on the Booking Form for the hire of the Barn and related facilities for the Hire Period and is inclusive of VAT.
c). “HIRE PERIOD” means the period of hire stipulated on the Booking Form.
d). “HIRER” means the person(s) hiring the Premises.
e). “OWNER” means Mr & Mrs Hyde Parker, Smeetham Hall, Smeetham Hall Lane, Bulmer, Sudbury, Suffolk, CO10 7EU.
f). “PREMISES” means Smeetham Hall Barn, Smeetham Hall, Smeetham Hall Lane, Bulmer, Sudbury, Suffolk CO10 7EU and the surrounding designated area.
1. The Hirer will pay a non-refundable booking fee of £750.00 at the time of booking. A contract for the hire of the Premises will not exist until the Owner is in possession of cleared funds for the booking fee and the Booking Form and Terms and Conditions both signed by the Hirer, and where the Hirer is the bride and groom, signed by each of them (unless otherwise agreed by the Owner). The Owner will confirm formation of the contract in writing to the Hirer.
2. The Hirer shall pay the balance of the Hire Charge (Hire Charge less non-refundable booking fee) not later than 8 weeks before the contractual function date.
Conditions of Hire
3. The Hirer shall have access to Smeetham Hall Barn for the Hire Period. Use of the heating system, electricity and furnishings is included in the Hire Charge.
4. The Hirer shall pay the Owner for any damage caused to the fabric or surrounds of the Premises by the Hirer or by persons attending the Premises with the permission of, or at the invitation of, the Hirer.
5. The use of confetti, or equivalent, within the barn or marquee is strictly forbidden. The use of confetti outside is permitted only if the confetti is biodegradable. It is the Hirer’s responsibility to inform guests of these conditions.
6. The Hirer is responsible for the conduct of all guests, agents, contractors or employees attending the Premises.
7. Except as set out in clause 9 below and in the case of fraudulent misrepresentation, for which no limit shall apply, the Owner’s liability to the Hirer or any person attending the Premises with the permission of, or at the invitation of, the Hirer, is limited to any direct loss or other loss within the reasonable contemplation of the parties at the time of creation of the contract for the hire of the Premises and will be limited to the value of the Hire Charge.
8. The Owner does not exclude liability for death or personal injury caused by the Owner’s negligence.
9. Persons attending the Premises at the invitation or with the permission of the Hirer approach the waterside at their own risk. Children should be supervised at all times.
10. The Hirer is to leave the Premises in the condition that it was found.
11. The Hirer and the Hirer’s guests must vacate the Premises promptly at midnight.
12. The Hirer is not permitted to hire in chairs from an outside supplier.
13. The Hirer is not permitted to self-cater the function.
14. The Hirer must select a caterer from the approved list supplied by the Owner. Should the Hirer have an evening buffet, the same caterer must be used.
15. The Hirer must enter into a contract for the supply of catering direct with the caterer.
16. A member of the catering staff must remain for the duration of the function to clear tables and to leave the kitchen facilities in the condition that they were found.
17. To comply with the Licensing Act of 2003, the Premises has a Premises Licence which covers regulated entertainment indoors only and the provision of alcohol.
18. The Hirer is permitted to supply daytime only alcoholic / soft beverages for consumption on the Premises by the Hirer and the Hirer’s guests, provided that no charge is made for such beverages. The Hirer must remove all bottles and containers brought on to the Premises.
19. The Hirer is to use the cash pay bar services of Smeetham Hall Barn for the evening. The bar will open immediately after the wedding breakfast and, at that point, no more daytime drink supplied by the Hirer will be consumed.
20. Music must stop at 11.45pm; the Hirer must ensure that any entertainer engaged by the Hirer is aware of this requirement.
21. It is the responsibility of the Hirer to ensure that any electrical equipment used on the Premises has the appropriate safety certification. If the Owner considers that the equipment is unsafe the Owner reserves the right to disconnect the power supply.
22. The Owner does not permit the use of glitter or confetti bombs that are provided by either a band or discotheque.
23. If the Hirer wishes to have a firework display they must choose from the list of approved contractors supplied by the Owner upon request.
24. Firework displays must be completed by 10.00pm and are to be “low noise”.
25. Firework displays are not permitted during August or September.
26. The use of Chinese lanterns is not permitted.
27. The Hirer must ensure that any entertainer has public liability insurance and that all equipment is PAT tested. Certificates for both must be provided.
Equipment and Property
28. Any property of any nature brought onto the Premises by the Hirer, his employees, contractors, agents or guests is at the Hirer’s risk. The Owner accepts no liability for loss or damage to such property. In particular, the Hirer is advised to remove all wedding presents following the function, as the Owner cannot accept any items for safe keeping.
29. If the Owner cannot perform any part of the contract with the Hirer due to any events or circumstances which are unforeseen, unavoidable or outside the reasonable control of the Owner, the Owner shall have the right to cancel the contract with the Hirer, and the Owner’s liability shall be limited to the return of any payments received from the Hirer, or on the Hirer’s behalf.
30. Cancellation by the Hirer must be made in writing. Cancellation will be subject to the following charges:
Cancellation Date Charge
a). More than 9 calendar months prior to the Function Date : 25% of the balance of Hire Charge,
b). Between 6 – 9 calendar months prior to the Function Date : 50% of the balance of Hire Charge
c). Between 3 – 6 calendar months prior to the Function Date : 75% of the balance of Hire Charge
d). Less than 3 calendar months prior to the Function Date : Full balance of Hire Charge
Should the Function Date be resold, a refund of the cancellation charge will be given, subject to the Function Date being re-sold at the full Hire Charge rate. Deductions from the refundable amount will include any discount given to secure the re-sale of the date and any cancellation-related payments due to contracted suppliers including, for example, the caterers which may be due even in the event of the date being resold. The booking fee is non-refundable and will also be deducted from any refund given.
31. Where a prospective Bride and Groom have both signed the contract they are jointly and severally liable for payment of invoices and any cancellation charges.
32. The Hirer hereby acknowledges that in entering into this contract the Hirer has not relied upon any representation or matter other than as expressly set out in this contract.
34. This contract is governed by the laws of England and Wales.